Monday, July 21, 2008

Ironman Lake Placid

This past weekend was spent in Lake Placid, NY. We were scoping out the Ironman scene. Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles. Talk about a run of emotions for me. During the drive up, I was all gung-ho about sticking with my long-range goal of competing in 2010. At the start of the swim, I was feeling melancholy about whether I really wanted to commit to the hours upon hours of training necessary for me to complete it successfully. While watching the bicyclists come through town after the bike course, I was convinced that yes; this is something I want to shoot for. Then, after four hours of volunteering, we went to the run course where some of the last competitors were still out running. It was 10:00 PM by this time, they had started at 7 AM and they still had about six miles to run to the finish. That was a reality check. That lonely solitude which I must be prepared to endure if this is to become a serious goal. I’m still thinking. I have time to decide. If I can make it through this winter with some serious training under my belt, I will volunteer again in 2009 and register for 2010.

1 comment:

morningDove said...

Ironman - you can do it!! you encourage me to set goals and get focused. I look forward to your posts and progress. Keep up the great work.