Saturday, May 3, 2008

Derby Day!

When I was a kid, I was certifiably horse-crazy. I ate, drank and breathed horses, though I never had one of my own. I think I read nearly every story that was written about horses. I was nine years old when Affirmed won the Kentucky Derby in 1978, but that was before I was really into watching the race. The first Derby I can clearly remember was in 1980 which was won by a filly, Genuine Risk. Since I would dearly love to see a Triple Crown winner race, I continue to tune in to every running of the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont, even though I am no longer horse crazy.

1 comment:

morningDove said...

I've never watched one but my middle son loved riding and taking lessons, he loved tending to the horse as much as riding. He still rides with friends. I was chased by a big horse and rider when I was little so it took a lot for me to take him to lessons but eventually I realized the person was just cruel when I was little and that horses can be very gentle and sweet.