Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Derby Sadness

Words cannot begin to describe the grief I felt when I saw the filly, Eight Belles, lying on the track after having broken both front ankles during her run for second place at Saturday’s Kentucky Derby. Somehow, seeing a Triple Crown winner no longer seems to have any importance for me. I’m not of the opinion that horse racing should be banned, but I’m not sure I have the stomach to watch it anymore. Oh sure, I know that one less person watching the sportscast will have no effect whatsoever on the big business of horse racing. But it might make me feel a bit better. After all, the horse racing business is just that, a business. Without racing, the horses would never be bred to the extent that they are. So I understand that. But maybe, just maybe, they’re being pushed too far, too fast, too early in their young lives.

2 comments:

morningDove said...

Oh how sad, I don't think I could have beared to watch it either. Those horses are so beautiful. and now what happens to the horse.

Michelle said...

Hey girl. You know that my heart is always with you on Derby day. Wish we could have been together to console each other this year. What a tragedy. Love ya.