Saturday, April 19, 2008

My “Hare-Raising” Experience

Thursday’s commute had an interesting event. I leave before sunrise and ride about 30 minutes in complete darkness, with just a headlight and taillight on my bike. The first few times I rode, I was very careful to keep my speed in check, knowing that I wouldn’t have much time to react to anything. Yesterday, I had forgotten to be careful. As I was gathering speed at the top of a hill, a rabbit darted in front of me. I gave a little yelp and instinctively hopped the bike over an inch or so (thank goodness for some mountain bike experience!) and missed him by about half an inch. I’m not sure who was more surprised – the rabbit or me!

1 comment:

morningDove said...

wow now that's what I call commitment and determination. Don't know that I could ride in complete darkness. Cute title.