Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Dreams vs. goals

Please forgive me for having piqued your curiosity yesterday and then leaving you hanging. I have been giving a lot of thought to the fact that I committed to the Mountain Goat and now I am backing out of it. I suppose most of my turmoil lies in the fact that I have been toying with the idea of doing a long-distance triathlon. I dabbled last season with “Sprint” distance triathlons, which were a ton of fun. However, I’m very inconsistent with training. I will go great guns for a few weeks, then slack off. That’s okay with the shorter distances but I will really need to step up the consistency if I want to do longer distances. So I really had to make up my mind that this is something I really want to focus on, before “going public”. For now, doing a longer distance is still a dream….I won’t consider it a goal until several things happen. But the dream is becoming more and more clear as every day goes by.

2 comments:

morningDove said...

Setting your goals will make the dream a reality. Keep going, we are cheering you on. I realized I have a fear of getting hit riding my bike around my streets but I see bikers everywhere.

Sue said...

There's always a chance something could happen on the bike. But there's also a chance something could happen no matter what you're doing. I'm pretty lucky though, as I live in an area of upstate NY where we don't really have much traffic congestion. Having bike handling skills and really paying attention to the traffic around you helps.